Monday, 19 February 2018

A brief update from The Pitons St Lucia

We are now attached to a mooring buoy right besde the Pitons at the south western end of St Lucia. We had a great couple of days in Marigot Bay on St Lucia meeting up with James and Anna-Malin on Yin nYang and Kealoha V also turned up and so we got to see Mike and Cate. We’ve had a reasonably good internet connection and so I have been able to post some of the larger blog entries that were previously waiting in the wings. There are still a couple of entries for Bequia and one for Cumberland Bay on St Vincent  which I’ll post next when they are finished. In the meantime, if you haven’t already, take a look at the 2 entries for Ilha de Santo Antao (21 Dec 17), the 2 entries for Concord and Fontainbleu waterfalls in Grenada (23 Jan 18) and, most recently posted, 3 entries for the Tobago Cays. I'm paticulalry pleased with the photos of the turtle there.
The Pitons, St Lucia   

Monday, 5 February 2018

Sailing to Bequia

Amazingly, the blog is nearly up to date. There are about 4 outstanding entries: one (or 2 parts) for Ilha de Santo Antão in the Cape Verdes (yes really that far back!), one for St George’s in Granada, one for Carriacou and one for Tobago Cays where we have just left. Keep an eye on the list of blog entries on the right for those appearing (hopefully whilst we are in Bequia).
Leaving the Tobago Cays – passing where we anchored on our first night there   

After swimming with turtles just off the beach in front BV in the morning, we got BV ready to go and set off from Tobago Cays towards Bequia (pronounced Bek-way).

The forecast was true to its word and we had a Force 5 east to east-southeast wind for the passage. The morning’s heavy rain showers had passed and so we had a good brisk sail with 18 and 24 knots of apparent wind coming from just forward of the beam. BV romped along, spray flying (and occasionally soaking us!).

There were big grins all round as we tracked north in perfect trade wind conditions under a lovely blue sky and with azure seas below [Ed: at one stage as we left the Tobago Cays the shallow waters (about 6m deep) were a vibrant turquoise over the pale sand and it almost felt as if the sea were being illuminated by underwater lights.]. We bypassed the island of Canouan (in the picture above) from where, sadly, there are still reports of a local who swims out to yachts at anchor to steal what he can. Instead we headed on to the next large island, Bequia, which gave us a much longer sail in the excellent conditions.
Bequia from the south (top) and from the west (bottom)   

Approaching Admiralty Bay on Bequia   
We progressively had to sail harder on the wind and, in the end, to make the harbour we had to sail past the island so that we could tack back towards the entrance. BV was sailing beautifully and the moment was captured by a photographer who came out on a very small RIB to take photos of approaching yachts. I’m sure that in the near future we’ll have a visit and be shown how good the photos were.

View to our right across at the other anchorage
on the other (south) side of the bay
Once inside Admiralty Bay we worked our way to the northeast corner, Port Elizabeth, to find a spot to anchor. There are mooring buoys here but, like most Caribbean mooring buoys, you have no idea how secure they are. We anchored just behind the other yachts and took a look around the bay. It certainly is a busy looking place. We saw a floating laundry and water delivery boat that you can call up and the same company also operates a mobile fuel barge and rubbish collection facility! And ashore, according to our pilot book, they have very good facilities for yachtsmen. Chandleries, gas bottle filling, laundrettes, food shops and good bars and restaurants. All very useful because we expect to spend quite a few days here exploring ashore and also, perhaps, doing a few more scuba dives. We also know that SY Sea Wind will be heading here shortly and it will be good to meet up again with Lars and Susanne if that works out.
Bequia, St Vincent Grenadines