Tuesday 17 July 2012

"Daddy's Going Hippy!"

The Pulses Bible?
Much to the amusement of my kids I have started to experiment with some vegetarian recipes using pulses.  Rose Elliot's The Bean Book appears to have been the reference document for many people since it was first published in 1979.  I've got hold of the latest edition reprinted in 2000 and, as a non-vegetarian, I am actually really impressed with how tasty the recipes are.

However, this whole bit of cookery experimenting with lentils and other pulses is not as my grown-up kids have been teasing me, "Because Daddy's going Hippy!".  It's actually with a view to eating well on long passages.  We know that when we eventually get around to doing it, crossing the Atlantic to the Caribbean will take us around 3 weeks.  We don't want either the expense, the loss of storage space or the power drain of a freezer onboard, so after a couple of weeks the fresh rations will have run out.  Living off tinned food is the normal option (bland?) but I'm also looking to find some really good recipes that can be made with dried pulses and other long shelf life foods.  We should then be able to eat really well with a lot of interesting variety which is important to boost quality of life onboard.

I am also hoping that if I brush up my fishing skills and catch the odd tuna or two then life will be very pleasant with seared tuna steaks and the freshest sushi to keep body and soul together.  Failing that I'm convinced that somewhere out there has to be the recipe for the ultimate lentil curry!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.