Monday 16 July 2012

Sewing Chores

The new Outboard is about 13 Kg heavier than the last one (27 Kg vs 14 Kg).  That's a lot of extra weight if you are hanging over the back of a boat.  I've therefore spent a few hours measuring up and sewing a lifting bridle.  It provides a convenient handle on the top of the outboard motor as well as a strong point to attach a hook if we choose to crane the motor with a halyard.  I suspect that we will end up with some sort of crane on the pushpit for the outboard, but only after I have given myself a hernia or two to soften the blow of the potential bill from the stainless steel fabricator.

Patches on the dinghy bag
Having dug out the sewing machine it made sense to start work on the dinghy bag which needed a little reinforcing where it was looking a little worn.  Nothing difficult, it just takes time, but better to do the work now before the small holes and threadbare bits rip.  Looking at the photo on the left I have to admit that it's not my most colour coordinated piece of work but I did have some spare vinyl backed canvas at home which is perfect for the job and the bag will be covered in beige canvas when it is on BV so no-one will see the patchwork quilt effect.  By my way of thinking, Avon just got the wrong colour for their dinghy bags - burgundy would have been far better!

Outboard motor and the dinghy covers next (assuming I have enough beige canvas).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.